Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Golden





As we prepare to move our little family to a new adventure in Okinawa, Japan, I can't help but be a little saddened by what will be left behind.

Growing up I lived in the same house from birth to college. I grew up with my childhood friends. In fact, my parents still live in that same house. So I am still getting used to this "Army life" of picking up and leaving one post for another.

Moving is nothing new to Steve. His family moved quite a bit, especially while he was in Elementary School. He is so excited to move to Okinawa. I want so bad to share in his excitement, and I do to a certain extent, I really do. I think of what a beautiful place it will be and just the whole experience of living in a foreign country. My children will get the opportunity to see first hand the wonderful diversities this world has to offer. I mean... who wouldn't want to live on a beautiful, tropical island for 3 years, right?

The part of our moves I have a hard time with is what I have to leave behind.

I feel guilty, embarrassed almost, like I am being negative because instead of looking forward and embracing our adventure, I instead look back and see what I have to leave behind.

The song I used to sing when I was a Girl Scout keeps going through my head... "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other is gold."

So I would like to say to all those "golden" friends (which, of course, includes family) good-bye once again, you will all be missed but not forgotten!! I wish I had a picture of each one of you who has touch my life and the life of my dear children and husband. I appreciate the friendships we have all made through each move. These are the sweet things in life!! And I know in 3 years when it's time to pick up and leave again, I will be sad to say good-bye.

Please stay in touch... you are all truly "golden" and never forgotten!

7 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

What a beautiful post, Melanie...Don't feel bad about looking back before moving forward. It's human nature to feel reluctant to change.

We moved all the time growing up and I think it built confidence and character in me and I know this will be an amazing experience for your family.

I'm so glad to have known you in the short time we were in El Paso. (and I spent most of it looking back instead of living in the moment-then it was over...poof!) Keep in touch and keep on blogging girl!

Anonymous said...

We miss you already and you're not even gone yet. We know you will have a wonderful experience, it's me that feels unhappy. It is normal for you to feel sad to leave, if you didn't it would mean you didn't like where you are now.
Remember how much we love you all.
Love Mom and Dad

the Jesters Court said...

I consider you the first friend that I made in El Paso! It was so hard to move here, like you I had always been in the same place. It was nice having someone new here with me. I will miss you! I guess I will have to get a new VT partner now and get to know someone else. I am glad that you are blogger, it will be a great way to keep in touch! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Hey, guys! This is great. Mel, you are so talented -this blog looks amazing, you're a wonderful artist, and your pictures are fantastic! -Steve you've got some good pictures you took, too. Maybe you could try to scan in any artwork you've done.
Love you, all.
Greg.

melFeldt photography said...

Thanks guys for all these nice comments!! I love it! Keep them comin!

Dr. E said...

I'm sad that we didn't get to know each other better while you were here. I have enjoyed the times we have spent together though. We'll miss you.
Oh, by the way, you have been tagged. Check out my blog.
http://icub2ys4me.blogspot.com/

RonJohn said...

I love all your pictures. Your kids are so cute. You guys are truly missed. Hope things go well for you in Japan. Keep in touch
johnandroni.blogspot.com

Roni