Tuesday, February 17, 2009

field trip

Spending the day with six 5th graders can be interesting to say the least.  Steve had the day off on Friday so he, Ella and I went with Morgan's class on their field trip to both Okinawa World and Peace Memorial Park.  

At Okinawa World we walked in the underground caves, watched how they made "Ryukyu" glass, and the highlight was the snake show where the kids were able to hold the snakes.


From 5th grade field trip






From 5th grade field trip



After our adventure at Okinawa World, and a lot of hand sanitizer, we drove to the very bottom of the island where we walked around the Peace Memorial Park.  This is where they honor those who died in the Battle of Okinawa during WWII. Inscribed on these marble walls are all Japanese, Okinawan and Americans who lost their lives during this war.  Roughly 200 thousand Okinawan/Japanese soldiers and civilians lost their lives and 12 thousand American soldiers were killed.  This Memorial was built on the hill where the Battle of Okinawa  ended.

 




All that being said, the kids weren't really that interested in a history lesson and were more interested in posing for pictures and throwing pine cones at one another.  (By the way, the girl to the left of Morgan is who he has a crush on. Her name is Morgan, too).
 
From 5th grade field trip






Aren't these trees so cool?!   The roots grow out from the branches and slowly make their way into the ground making a HUGE tree.  Trees have always interested me, I used to draw them in art class when I was growing up, now I use the camera.  As I was taking pictures of these trees I started thinking of how I used to make fun of my dad for taking so many pictures of "inanimate objects" instead of people. I'm okay though, I still LOVE taking pictures of people, I have just found how interesting "inanimate objects" can be to take pictures of too.



5th grade field trip



From 5th grade field trip

1 comments:

Tiff said...

Your pictures are absolutely amazing! Those trees remind me of the movie bridge to terrabithia.

Sounds like you guys are doing great! Ella is getting sooo big!!! She is beautiful.